International Students General Guidelines (UK)


International students starting 2019/20 (per year) = £13,100 (estimated)

International students starting 2020/21 (per year) = £13,500 (estimated)

You must pay your fees up-front, in full or in instalments. You will also be asked for a deposit or sponsorship letter/financial guarantee. Details will be in your offer letter. We recommend that all students use our University’s online payments system online payments system to make a payment to us with a debit or credit card. Alternatively, you can pay via International Bank Transfer with GlobalPay, a specialist international payment platform provided by Western Union Business Solutions. If you’re not able to pay online, details of how to pay by bank-to-bank transfer will be included in your offer letter.

Entry Requirements:

Normally a minimum of 2:2 bachelors degree in relevant course. If English is not your first language you will be expected to demonstrate a certificated level of proficiency of at least IELTS 6.5 (Academic level) or equivalent English Language qualification.

Important additional notes: Our published entry requirements are a guide only and our decision will be based on your overall suitability for the course as well as whether you meet the minimum entry requirements. Other equivalent qualifications may be accepted for entry to this course, please email us for further information.

General student visa (Tier 4) Eligibility

You must have:

  • an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they’ve offered you a place on a course. You’ll need to enter this on your visa application.

You must apply for your visa no more than 6 months after you receive the CAS.

Documents you must provide

When you apply for the visa you must provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel documentation
  • proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances
  • proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you’re under 18
  • proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian if you’re under 18
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

You need a blank page in your passport for your visa.

You may also need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Knowledge of English

You must prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

This usually means passing a secure English language test (SELT).

Where you’re studyingWhat you’re studyingKnowledge of English neededLevel
Higher education institution (HEI)Degree level or aboveReading, writing, listening and speakingEquivalent to CEFR (Common European Framework for languages) level B2
Institution that’s not HEIDegree level or aboveSELT in reading, writing, listening and speakingCEFR level B2
Any institutionBelow degreeSELT in reading, writing, listening and speakingCEFR level B1

HEIs can choose how to assess a student’s knowledge of English. They must still be at:

  • CEFR level B2 if you’re studying at a degree level or higher
  • SELT in reading, writing, listening and speaking and CEFR level B1 if you’re not studying at a degree level

Funding & Accommodation

According to UKVI immigration rules every international student has to fund themselves for tuition fees and accommodation. In order to study here in UK, you need to show that you have the funds for your living costs for up to maximum of 9 months. This is set by the Home Office at £1265 per month if you are studying inside London or £1,015 per month for those studying outside London. As well as this maintenance fee, you also need to show that you are able to pay the tuition fee for one year. This will be dependent on the university you choose to apply.

Example of funds calculation:

Let’s say you applied to university, their tuition fee is £12000 per year. You can either pay this in full first or in instalments. Any paid tuition fees will be taken into account, so the same amount will be deducted from the final amount.

Course fees: £12,000 not paid in full as shown on the CAS

Study in the UK = 12 months (Maximum of 9 months evidence of living costs required) Accommodation fees 9 x £1265= £11385 for London and 9 x £1015 = £9135 if you study outside London

Total Funds required for visa application: Inner London (£12000 +11385) £23385.00 or for outside of London (£12000 +£9135) = £21135.00

As well as your maintenance funds, you need to show you have enough money to pay the full tuition fees for your course. If you will be studying a course which is more than one year long, you will only need to provide evidence that you can pay for your first year’s fees.

What documents can I use to prove that I have the required funds?

The funds can be held in your own bank account or your parent/legal guardian’s bank account. If you are using your parent or guardian’s fund you need to show permission that you can use this fund. It is not possible to use a bank account held by any other member of your family or a company.

Visa Requirements

The UKVI requirements will be different depending on the type of documents used.

What the documents must provide are as follows:

If using a bank statement in the student’s name, the statement must:

-Have the student’s name as the account holder?

-Show that the required funds are held for a consecutive 28 day period – the account balance cannot drop below the minimum amount needed at any time during the 28 day period.

-Have an official bank stamp on every page, or be printed on bank letterhead.

-Have been printed no more than 30 days ago – it should be as recent as possible, to give you the most time to submit it as part of your application.

-Display the currency that the funds are held in.

-Show the account’s opening balance. A closing balance is also necessary if multiple transactions occur on the statement.

-Online statements may be used if every page is stamped by the bank.

If using a bank statement in parents’ name(s), the statement must:

-Show the parent’s names as the account holder.

-Show that the required funds are held for a consecutive 28 day period – the account balance cannot drop below the minimum amount needed at any time during the 28 day period.

-Have an official bank stamp on every page, or be written on bank letterhead

-Have been printed no more than 30 days ago – it should be as recent as possible, to give you the most time to submit it as part of your application.

-Display the currency that the funds are held in

-Show the account’s opening balance. A closing balance is also necessary if multiple transactions occur on the statement.

-Be accompanied by a letter written and signed by the account holder confirming that the student can use the funds in the account for their UK studies and living expenses.

-The letter must show the full names of the account holder and student, and must be signed and dated.

-Be accompanied by legal documentation showing the relationship between the account holder(s) and student, such as a birth certificate. This should be translated (and stamped by the translator) if the original is not in English.

-The bank letter must be on bank letterhead.

-Be dated no more than 30 days before the visa application.

-Have an official bank stamp on every page.

-State that the name of the account holder is either the student or their legal guardian(s). If the latter, a letter and legal documentation are required as for a bank statement in the parent/guardian’s name.

-Clearly state that the required funds have been present in the account for 28 consecutive days.

”The above information is UK Admission’s interpretation of the UKVI guidance, and is correct to the best of our knowledge. This information is for reference purposes only. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure they meet all requirements before submitting a visa application. UKVI’s full guidance on maintenance requirements can be found on the official UK government website”.

2 year post-study work visa for international students

”Foreign students will be offered a two year work visa after graduating from a British university in 2021. The new ‘Graduate’ route will be open to all international students – including those from Asia – who have valid UK immigration status as a student and have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider. The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies.

This builds on UK government action to help recruit and retain the best and brightest global talent, as well as opening up opportunities for future breakthroughs in science, technology and research and other world-leading work that international talent brings to the UK”.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

The new Graduate Route will mean talented international students, whether in science and maths or technology and engineering, can study in the UK and then gain valuable work experience as they go on to build successful careers. It demonstrates our global outlook and will ensure that we continue to attract the best and brightest.

This announcement follows the creation of a new fast-track visa route for scientists and the removal of the limit on PHD students moving into the skilled work visa route, which collectively aim to cement the UK as a science superpower and a world-leader in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) sector. Almost half of all Indian students (almost 130,000 since 2008/9) heading to UK in the last ten years chose a STEM subject.

Further information

Often referred to as a ‘Post-Study Work visa’, the new Graduate route will launch for the 2020/21 intake of students to university. After the two years, they will be able to switch onto the skilled work visa if they find a job which meets the skill requirement of the route.

The visa will offer opportunities to work or look for work after graduating. However, unlike the route which closed in 2012, this new route will also include safeguards to ensure only genuine, credible students are eligible.